Namibian Sun@namibiansun
LINKED: Onandjokwe hospital medical intern Kelsey Kudumo, on Wednesday, denied claims that N$18 000 paid into her bank account was a “token of appreciation” linked to the alleged Sanlam Namibia fraud scheme before the Ondangwa Magistrate’s Court.
Testifying during their combined bail hearing with former Onandjokwe nurse Festus Amwaalwa and five others, Kudumo said she had approached Amwaalwa for financial assistance while struggling financially and not receiving a salary.
“I did not specify an amount. I just needed help to pay my debts,” she told the court.
According to Kudumo, Amwaalwa later informed her that money had been sent to her account through his sister. She maintained the payment was part of mutual financial support between friends and not linked to any fraud.
The state alleges Kudumo received money connected to fraudulent Sanlam claims facilitated through falsified hospital records and laboratory results. Her lawyer, Antonius Shapumba, argued the amount was N$18 000 and not N$20 000 as alleged by the prosecution.
During cross-examination, state prosecutor Erastus Christiana questioned why she did not find it suspicious to receive such a large amount without discussing repayment or the exact amount needed. Kudumo admitted no repayment agreement existed but said she intended to pay the money back.
The alleged fraud investigation initially involved about N$1,8 million, but the court heard the amount has now increased to over N$2,1 million and is expected to increase.
The bail hearing continues in the Ondangwa Magistrate’s Court.
UPDATE: TUYEIMO HAUFIKU