Pierre Bou Khalil
3.4K posts

Pierre Bou Khalil
@Pierre_bk
tweeting is fun learning politics and finance on the way








Twenty-one hours. The highest-level face-to-face meeting between the United States and Iran since 1979. The first direct contact between an American vice president and Iranian senior leadership in 47 years. And it ended before dawn on April 12 with JD Vance standing at a podium in the Serena Hotel saying: “The bad news is that we have not reached an agreement. I think that’s bad news for Iran much more than it’s bad news for the United States of America.” The core impasse was nuclear. Vance said the US could not get “an affirmative commitment that they will not seek a nuclear weapon.” He acknowledged Iran’s enrichment facilities had been destroyed during Operation Epic Fury. But the US wanted a long-term commitment of intent. Iran refused. Ghalibaf said the US must “decide whether they can earn our trust or not.” Vance left a “final and best offer” on the table. He spoke to Trump “a half dozen times, a dozen times” during the 21 hours. He boarded Air Force Two and flew to Ramstein. And then Trump posted. “Effective immediately, the United States Navy, the Finest in the World, will begin the process of BLOCKADING any and all Ships trying to enter, or leave, the Strait of Hormuz.” He ordered interdiction of every vessel that paid a toll to Iran. He announced the destruction of Iranian mines. He warned that any Iranian who fires will be “BLOWN TO HELL.” He closed with: “We are fully LOCKED AND LOADED.” Four days ago, Trump called the Hormuz toll “a beautiful thing” and proposed a “joint venture.” Three days ago, he reversed and posted “they better stop now.” Two days ago, Vance boarded Air Force Two saying he would extend “the open hand” if Iran negotiated in good faith. Today, Trump announced a naval blockade of a strait the United States has spent six weeks trying to open. The United States is now blockading the Strait of Hormuz to open the Strait of Hormuz. Trump is imposing a blockade on Iran’s blockade. The country that demanded free passage is now restricting all passage. The stated goal is to end the toll system by interdicting every ship that paid it. This means seizing vessels belonging to China, Russia, India, Iraq, and Pakistan, the five nations Iran granted special transit approval to during the war. The same Pakistan that hosted the peace talks that collapsed hours ago. The same China that brokered the ceasefire. The same India that imports 65 percent of its helium from Qatar’s destroyed Ras Laffan complex. Every toll-paying nation is now a target of the blockade those tolls were supposed to prevent. The ceasefire expires April 22. Ten days. The mines are still drifting. The 900 pounds of highly enriched uranium is still in Iranian hands. China is preparing MANPADs for delivery. Hezbollah is still firing rockets. And the two delegations that sat across from each other for 21 hours left holding the same documents they arrived with. The talks did not fail because they were badly conducted. They failed because the distance between “we will never give up nuclear sovereignty” and “we need a permanent commitment to never seek nuclear weapons” is not a negotiating gap. It is a civilizational divide. And no hotel in Islamabad, no matter how well guarded, is large enough to hold both positions in the same room. open.substack.com/pub/shanakaans…






🇴🇲🇮🇷 Oman and Iran's deputy FMs are in negotiations to ensure the "smooth passage" of vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. Meanwhile, Trump's deadline for Iran to reopen the Strait has less than 24 hours remaining before the U.S begins to attack Iran's energy grid. Source: @OmanNewsAgency


بعد انتهاء الجلسة تحدث وزير الاعلام بول مرقص فقال: عقد #مجلس_الوزراء جلسته الأسبوعية في السراي الكبير برئاسة دولة الرئيس #نواف_سلام وبحضور السيدات والسادة الوزراء وبغياب معالي وزير الثقافة، بداية كان هناك طلب من دولة الرئيس الى كل من وزير المال وزير الاقتصاد لوضع المجتمعين في صورة الوضع الاقتصادي والمالي العام، بداية تحدث معالي وزير المال فاشار الى انشغال العالم كله في الحرب وتراجع المداخيل العالمية وحركة التجارة وارتفاع الاسعار وخصوصا اسعار النفط، والانكماش الاقتصادي العالمي ، وهو تحدث عن هذا الموضوع لنرى تأثيراته على الساحة اللبنانية، ايضاً اشار الى أن التجاوب في موضوع المساعدات في هذه الحرب من قبل المجتمع الدولي اقل من سنة ٢٠٢٤، ايضا ذكر بالأرقام والشح بالعملة الصعبة مما يستدعي في بعض الأحيان اعادة نظر ومراجعة بعض ارقام الموازنة مع الاخذ بعين الإعتبار تزايد الحاجات الصحية والمعيشية والاجتماعية. وكشف ايضا وزير المال عن زيارة سيقوم بها مع وفد مصغر كناية عن ثلاثة اشخاص الى واشنطن ، لعقد لقاءات في البنك الدولي لبحث امكانية حشد المزيد من المساعدات الدولية، وايضاً تحويل عدد من القروض إلى مساعدات أنسانية. وخلافا لما نشر في بعض وسائل الاعلام فانه من غير الصحيح أن الدولة اللبنانية ستوقف تحويل الرواتب بل ان الدولة حريصة على هذا الموضوع. ثم تحدث وزير الاقتصاد وهو شرح بالأرقام الاحتسابات الجديدة التي حصلت وفق قواعد الحرب المفروضة، وما نتج عنها من انكماش اقتصادي وانخفاض للمداخل وانطلاقا من العدد الكبير للنازحين ايضا اشار إلى البطالة التي تزيد معدلاتها ونسبها نتيجة هذا النزوح، وكشف عن دراسة قطاعية مثل الصناعة والسياحة وغيرها للكشف عن تراجع المؤشرات وعن دراسة ميدانية قيد الإجراء تؤشر إلى انكماش اقتصادي يترواح بين ٧ الى ١٠ بالمئة، وعرض تدفق الاموال للبلد ووتيرتها، واشار الى انه لغاية الان لا زالت الامور الاقتصادية مضبوطة رغم الاحتكار الذي يحصل في بعض الأحيان من التجار والغش الذي تكافحه وزارة الاقتصاد بمحاضر بلغت العشرات والإحالات الي المدعي العام المالي ومصادرة المواد موضع الغش والشمع الأحمر وغيرها من الأجراءات، واشار إلى ان اطالة امد الحرب من شانه زيادة المخاطر، كذلك اشار الى مشكلة التضخم وهي مشكلة حقيقية يعاني منها البلد، ولكن في المقابل فان ميزان المدفوعات لا زال مقبولا. ايضا عرض اجراءات مدّ المجتمع الاهلي بالمواد الضرورية والبقاء على هذه الوتيرة لا سيما بالنسبة للخضار واللحوم، وهي مواد اساسية يتم معالجتها من قبل الوزارة بالتعاون مع وزارة الزراعة للحد من الاحتكار، والمضاربة غير المشروعة. بعد ذلك تم البحث من قبل مجلس الوزراء في الخيارات المالية المطروحة ... bit.ly/4bZzdOj #لبنان #pcm













